Friday, September 19, 2014

I found an experience that has made me think a bit about the differences that each person makes in this life. I work with the students in the Greenbrier apartments and we had a meeting last evening. The manager of the apartments invited the bishop and his counselors to come, but only the counselors were able to make it. The one man stood and talked to the students and shared a story from his college experience that made me laugh, but think. When he was young he went to UVU and had some roommates that were very memorable, in a not so positive way. He had one named Rick and another named Randy. Rick had a gun, and Randy a machete. Each morning this poor brother would get up at 6 and leave for school and he didn't return until after 10:30 each night. Every night he would return wondering if his house would still be standing, or either of the roommates of his were still alive. As the poor man slept he would leave one eye open just in case either of them decided to take his life in the middle of the night. He felt as if he was a wandering vagabond with out a home.
This is a prime example, a lot of times I have realized that I am like Rick and Randy, maybe not with a literal gun or machete but with my attitude, my words, or even the things I watch or do, I have created a home where no one wishes to be. It is a very lonely experience, take my word for that one.
I have often thought that a home can be a place of refuge, peace, and comfort. To create such a home is something that I am still learning how to do.  Each person who comes into my home makes a difference there, and I love the variety of folks that have found their way into my home!

No comments:

Post a Comment